Monday, November 8, 2010

MY FAVORITE "THINGS" (& stuff) #3

Amazon Kindle!!
AMAZON KINDLE!

So, I have never been a real reader... I mean, I read when we are on vacation or when we are traveling, but I usually have so many other 'things & stuff' going on that I don't do a lot of reading. Actually, Suzie will tell you the reason I don't read a lot is because when I start a book I can't put it down until I am finished. She says I can be a little obsessive-compulsive. What ever.

Anyway... Deni, Erin and Suzie all have Kindles and they love them. I personally couldn't see a reason to have one of my own. I figured I could buy a lot of books for what it would cost for a Kindle and I wouldn't get my moneys worth. Well, even I can be wrong at times! LOL!

I was laying in bed one morning trying to make myself get up when a commercial came on for the "new" Kindle. Only $139.00! Or $189.00 if you want 3-G wireless (which you really want!). What a deal! I got up and ordered one right then. Unfortunately, they were on back order for a month! Dang. Oh well, I haven't had a Kindle so it wouldn't hurt me to wait.

September 15th my Kindle finally arrived. That day I downloaded the 'Hunger Games'. Finished it in two days. Ordered 'Catching Fire' that night from my bed and it downloaded immediately. (The 3-G wireless is SO worth it!). Finished that in a couple of days and then read 'Mocking Jay'. 'Hunger Games was the best, didn't love 'Mocking Jay'.

So, then I read the last three books in the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series, 'Dead to Worse', 'Dead and Gone' and 'Dead in the Family'. Then I read 'A Touch of Dead' which is a collection of short stories that fill in the blanks between the books.

Next was 'The House of the Vampire' by George Vierick, which is a 1907 Victorian Gothic novella where the vampire steals peoples thoughts and ideas rather than sucking their blood. Then I read J.R. Rains 'The Vampire with the Dragon Tattoo' and 'The Oldest Living Vampire Tells All' by Rod Reduxx (kind of trashy but an interesting concept). Next was the 'Vampire for Hire' series by J.R. Rain, 'Moon Dance' and 'Vampire Moon', and then 'The Bleeder and Other Stories' and 'Teeth and Other Stories' also by J.R. Rain.

While we were in Bryce I read Bram Stokers 'Dracula' (loved it!). Then 'Frankenstein: Lost Souls' which is number four in the Dean Koontz series.

Now I am reading Mary Shelleys 'Frankenstein'. Classic.

So, I have had my Kindle for like six weeks and have easily gotten my moneys worth. The books are usually very cheap... Dracula was only ninety nine cents. The new hard bound True Blood book was only $7.99 on Kindle, $24.95 at the book store. The thing I love the most is that you don't have to go to the bookstore ever! If you finish a book in the middle of the night you can get another one without even getting out of bed! And you don't have to worry about storing all of those books! You can get hundreds of books and they all fit in the palm of your hand! Love it.

The only problem I have with the Kindle is that every time you get it out to read everyone around you wants to know if that is a Kindle. Then they want to talk about it. 'Yes", I say, "this is the new Kindle. Yes, I love it. Yes, it is great! Yes, you should get one! Now leave me alone so I can read!". Kidding. But seriously, the Kindle has been my new favorite 'THING' (& stuff) for over a month and I don't see it changing any time soon. You should get one! It could be your favorite 'thing' too!


No comments:

Post a Comment