Friday, May 7, 2010

HUEVOS AT THE PLAZA

So, I had every intention of having a Cinco de Mayo party this year complete with paper flowers, a pinata, great food and a mariachi band. Unfortunately, to many 'things and stuff' were happening and before I knew it 'uno de mayo' had arrived and the party was a good intention that was just not to be. Next year? Maybe if I make a note in my calendar about the first week of April to start planning it will actually happen.

Since the party did not happen I will just have to settle for reminiscing about a Mexican breakfast a couple of weeks ago in Santa Fe. (After Dallas...)


The historic Plaza Cafe, 54 Lincoln Avenue, Santa Fe, New Mexico. Located right on the Plaza (that must be how they came up with the name!) in Old Santa Fe it has been a favorite of locals and tourists for over a hundred years. I have eaten there several times and when I know I am going to Santa Fe I have dreams about their Huevos Rancheros!



Oh my gosh, I am salivating just looking at the picture! The huevos, frijoles (mexican style pinto beans), hash browns.... SO good! And the sopapillas! I always have to have an extra order because one is not enough. A sopapilla is basically a crisp, puffy, hollow, deep fried pastry served with fresh honey. I know people who like to bite the corner off their sopapilla and then pour the honey inside. I prefer to tear off a piece, pour on the honey and then eat it
. That way you get to lick your fingers after every bite! To each his own I guess.

Obviously it was delicious! I wanted to lick the plate clean but I thought that might be a little tacky. I left a few bites on the plate just so I wouldn't be tempted to lick! SO GOOD!!!

After breakfast was a little site seeing. The Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi was built between 1869 and 1887. The French-Romanesque architecture combines amazing stained glass from France and a mix of adobe and stone quarried from Lamy, just south of Santa Fe.


It was FREEZING! You would think by mid-April the weather would be a little warmer. We were glad that we had brought heavy coats. Last year we did not have coats and really froze! The lady that took the picture for us almost cut us out so she could get more of "that church" in the picture.


Great trip, great food, great company. Just me and Suzie on a much needed get-a-way!

No comments:

Post a Comment