Sunday, May 2, 2010

ALL THINGS CUPCAKE!

This time it is not just about things and stuff... this time it is all about cupcakes! Our family kind of has a thing for cupcakes. Perhaps it started when Deni's wedding cake was a pyramid of 250 flower topped cupcakes from Mrs. Backers Bakery in Salt Lake. Or it could be that Erin's "Halloween Cupcakes with a Neon Surprise" were featured on "All Things Cupcake.com" on October 29th. Or that Erin and Suzie carried a dozen "Georgetown (chocolate ganache) Cupcakes" home from Washington, D.C. after they stood in line in a blizzard for over an hour to get them. Yes, we have a thing for cupcakes and when I was reading in the "What to do in Dallas" guide I read about a new cupcake place that had just opened in the West Village. Of course we had to check it out, but it was an adventure! We could have just taken a taxi, but we wanted to see a bit more of Dallas so we walked four or five blocks from the hotel to catch the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit). It is similar to TRAX in Salt Lake but as the DART leaves downtown it goes underground. Cool. It was a quick ride, only a couple of stops from downtown to the West Village. We got off the train and headed for the exit. Wow, we were WAY underground!

Two full flights of escalators like this one and then another three flights of stairs to the surface. I felt like we were taking the journey from the center of the earth. I have been on subways all over the country (D.C., Chicago, New York, San Francisco) but have never been this far underground. It was kind of cool but a little creepy. There were only five or six people besides us down there. Out side the DART stop was an old San Francisco type cable car to take us the final few blocks in to the West Village. The W.V. is kind of a mixed-use development with high end shopping, dining and living, similar to the "Gateway" in Salt Lake. Anyway, after walking around the entire perimeter we finally found that 'DIMPLES CUPCAKES' was just across the street from where we started... we just looked the wrong way. I am a little directionally challenged at times.

Oh. it was so worth the trek!

Lemon, Half and Half, Chocolate and my personal favorite, Wedding Cake. They were so amazingly good! Washed down with a nice cold diet coke, we were in heaven! My question is this... what makes wedding cake wedding cake? I have got to know the secret! If anyone knows or has a recipe or knows where I can find the real thing in Salt Lake, PLEASE let me know. It is denser than regular cake and it kind of has a vanilla-ish flavor and the icing is kind of butter creamy-ish. I have to know!

Suzie loved the Lemon. It was pretty tasty but I still think the Wedding Cake was the best.

It was a most gratifying day. We found the cupcakes we were looking for and did a little shopping at the same time. I bought a new black v-neck sweater at Banana, something I don't have in my wardrobe. (Just kidding... no seriously, I don't have a black v-neck sweater with a tone-on-tone argyle pattern on the front...). And then it was the journey back to the center of the earth...............

Oh, did I mention that this was all on my birthday? Nice day.

I am serious about the wedding cake... if you know the secret, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment