Friday, November 9, 2012

GRANDPARENT CABINET- you need one of these!

 It is amazing how fast you acquire 'things and stuff' for a grand baby when they arrive. You need books and toys and diapers and wipes.... and you need a place to store them out of sight when the baby is not there. When I was redesigning our great room this last summer I decided I needed to plan in a place to hide all the 'things and stuff' Eli would need when he is visiting.

I picked up this cabinet a couple of years ago at a tag sale. It has been in storage just waiting for the perfect home. A grandparent (Mae Mae and Po at our house) cabinet would be the perfect use.

 I removed the spindly legs and replaced them with bun feet then painted, distressed and waxed the cabinet to give it a whole new look. It is something new that looks like it has been in the family for years.

 I painted Eli's name and birthday on the front just for fun and to make the cabinet a little more unique. 
Scott said he didn't think it was fair that Eli had his own cabinet.... I said, 'Why not? Eli is my favorite grandchild... If you would like to produce a child or two they would be my favorite also and I will add their names to the cabinet!" The gauntlet has been thrown down!

 An interior view of the cabinet. Baskets hold toys and games. Books are stacked for easy access and I added a cork board to one door and a chalk board to the other... a great place to post or create art.

  New hardware adds to the vintage look. I had the pulls with the back plates but had to search the internet for matching thumb latches. I had to then distress the lot to make them look like they belonged together. The hardware adds to the vintage look.

 Just a detail of the new bun feet. Nice and sturdy and a little more authentic feeling.

Although Eli is still a baby it is nice to have everything handy but out of sight in a really great looking piece of furniture.... The Mae Mae and Po is working out great!

If you need a Grandparents cabinet, lets talk... I could build one for you also! It doesn't have to be an armoire... it could be a chest. What ever works, you need one!












No comments:

Post a Comment