Saturday, July 17, 2010

SO, THE LESSON'S ARE PAYING OFF!

OK, admit it... the thought of sitting through most recitals is worse than having teeth pulled. There are 'things and stuff' that are worse, but at the moment I can't think of what those things might be. We know why we are at the recital; to see our own adorable children perform whatever dance and/or singing number they have been working on (and you have been paying) for the last year. I must admit that I LOVE watching my children perform! Everyone else's kids, not so much. Oh come on, admit it! You feel the same way, as well you should! We love our children and we would do anything for them. We are so happy and proud when they are successful and our hearts break when they have challenges. Attending performances and recitals is just one of the many ways we express our love and show support for our children. But honestly, I have sat through some of the longest year end concerts on history. Remember the 2009 Singers Unlimited concert? Really.

Sami (left) and Sara Thornock (photo: Luke Isley)

This year the Ballet West Academy changed the way I look at year end concerts. We have been with the Academy long enough to see a major transformation in the program and product. Admittedly, in years past the Academy Spring Performance was not on my list of fun things to do. Former Artistic Director, Jonas Kages' idea of a recital was simply bringing the ballet barres out on the stage and conducting a choreographed studio class for us to watch. The programs were boring and uninspired. Since the arrival of Adam Sklute, and under the direction of Peter Christie, there has really been a change in direction and emphasis at the Academy. Some change is good and some change can be bad, but the change that has come overall to the program and the dancers is amazing. The concert last year was very good with a 'Don Q' suite and an amazing piece called 'Paco', which was choreographed by the students in the upper school at the Academy, but this year's performance seemed to take a huge step up in quality and entertainment. It could be that Sami was dancing some big parts (in a paux and as a demi soloist), but I thought many sections of the show really were professional quality. Quite frankly, it was amazing (I could say 'awesome' if I used that word!). From the time the curtain went up I was completely enthralled. The concert had two versions, each performed two times. Suzie and I attended three times because Sami was dancing in all four concerts but performing different roles in three of the four shows.

Grande Finale of the Sleeping Beauty Suite

I won't bother regurgitating the program notes. I am just going to attach some fabulous (I don't usually use that word either) photos to give you an idea of the quality of the performance. The beautiful costumes are by David Heuvel and the Ballet West Costume shop.


'Retro Shifts' by Caine Keenan (photo: Luke Isley)

Merdedes Rice, Sami Draper, Miranda Beck (photo: Luke Isley)


The 'Sleeping Beauty Suite' performed by the upper school of the Ballet West Academy.
Lucas Horns, Theresa Schuyler, Matthew Helms, Sami Draper (photo: Luke Isley)

Sami Draper and Theresa Schuyler (photo: Luke Isley)

Sami and partner (photo: Luke Isley)

Sami and Theresa (photo: Luke Isley)

Sami and Max Hall do the 'White Cat' and 'Puss 'N' Boots' (photo: Luke Isley)






Thanks to Luke Isley for his amazing photos. His link is attached.

Also a special 'Thank You' to Jan Clark Fugit and Jeffery Rogers, the teachers whom I have had the most interaction, for their great teaching, but most importantly, for their kindness, support and nurturing of Samantha. They have helped her become a beautiful and talented dancer.


Finale (photo: Luke Isley)


Oh, I just noticed that all of the photos are of Samantha. Sorry. Oh well, I can choose the pictures because I am the Dad and this is my blog. You can put the photos of your kids on your own blog. LOL!

2 comments:

  1. I know why you're proud, Sami is absolutely stunning in these photos. She's not my daughter, but I feel as proud as if she were. BEAUTIFUL says it all. Love you all, Suzanne PS sorry I'm on MK's account

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,
    Laughed so hard at the beginning of this, and then felt myself getting a little emotional as I started relating this to how I feel about my own daughter and watching HER recitals:) You have done such an amazing job raising ALL your children!! Sami is obviously incredibly talented and could only be where she is now thanks to your support and devotion(Suzy's too of course!!)Big Ol' pat on your back!! Michelle

    ReplyDelete